Friday, July 11, 2008

Weekend Assignment Results: Are We Independent?

Solo travel on the open road, April 2006

For last week's Weekend Assignment #223: Are You Independent? I asked how independent you are. The holiday weekend that inspired the question pretty much scuttled the responses, but we had one actual entry and two in-comments answers.

Julie said...

I work as a freelancer, which is about as independent as you can get. It's a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that I can set my own hours. While Chris was in school I had time to run down and watch him in a play or help inside the classroom. If he ever needed a breathing treatment I was close by. I also have asthma, so it's nice to be able to drop everything and go to the doctor if I need to without fear of retribution by my employer. (Yes, I worked at a place like that once.)

Mike said in comments...

Sorry I didn't get to it this week. The holiday threw off my whole schedule. I will say That I am not totally independent. I think being married, and having two kids, makes it nearly impossible to to whatever I want, whenever I want. But I wouldn't change anything either. I'll be back next week.

Sarah said in comments...

Me too. I mean, sorry about not getting to it this week. Lots of invasive factors in my life this week, like crazy work. I think this makes two IOUs on the weekend assignment now (I swear I'll get to them someday!).

I live by myself and support myself, and often travel by myself, so yeah, I'm independent. I'm fortunate to have parents nearby who are often happy to lend their help and/or advice, but I make sure I'm always able to pay my own bills, get out of my own scrapes, choose my own adventures, etc.


Thanks, you three! The new Weekend Assignment is imminent!

Karen

No comments: