Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Oddities abound at the Museum of the Weird

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Give us a picture of many things alike -- and one thing not. If you're of a certain age (i.e., my age), you'll remember the song from Sesame Street that went "one of these things is not like the others..." This is a picture version of that. Could be as simple as three cups and a dish, or six cars and a bicycle, or a bunch of young kids with one elderly person. You get the idea.

The reason I like to call Casa Blocher the Museum of the Weird, aside from the fact that it's an obscure Disney reference, is that the place is full of fun, odd things. Sometimes the fun odd things are next to other fun, odd things that are fun and odd in a different way. Let's explore, shall we?


Okay, this first one is mostly fun for just Tuffy, although I kind of enjoy guessing which flavor of dog food she would be most likely to eat tonight. (Which do you prefer, Tuffy, the porterhouse or the sirloin?) These Cesar brand dog food containers are a little over half the price at Target that they are at Safeway, so tonight we stocked up. While at Target we also bought a space heater for my office at work, and did our annual Toys for Tots shopping. But I digress. The odd item here is Tuffy's prednisone pills. I hide them in sausages and between slices of pepperoni. They help make Tuffy's tongue feel better, and restore her appetite for the gourmet dog food.


Here is part of our tiki mug collection. I'm pretty sure we have more of this particular pattern of mug than is shown here. The one on the left is different in three ways: it's darker, it's taller, and it's a licensed souvenir of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.


I fudged this shot just a little by taking away a tiny cactus plant. But what's significant here is that only one of the four flowerpots still has a living plant in it.

You have your choice of incongruent items here. Which stands out for you more, the extra large china dog or roughly in-scale Donald Duck?

Again in this one there's a choice. Which one strikes you as "not like the others," the larger Dam doll or the troll in the wedding dress when all the other trolls are nekkid?


More of the tikis. But wait a minute - how did that surfer girl get in there?


These happened to be stacked together in the front room - the Dollar westerns and Joss Whedon's Serenity. I suppose you could argue that Serenity isn't all that different in setting or violence level or even the outlook of the protagonist. Even so, I'm pretty sure the Man With No Name has never been on a spaceship. I think what these four items have in common for John's purposes is that they've been displaced by special edition DVDs.

Karen

2 comments:

Carly said...

LOL

Everytime you post your Tiki's, I walk around with, "In The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Room" in my head forever! LOL. I expect I will now be humming it over the sound of Christmas carols for the next couple days or so! LOL.

Love the Trolls, but it makes me kinda sad too. I had a silly little "Frankinstein" troll which wore neon green pants. Someone stole it from me. The meanies. Gosh I miss that guy,

Always, Carly

Laura said...

i swear you have the best stuff!