Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weekend Assignment Results: Road Trips


Last week I offered readers a fictional $500 and an equally fictional car rental and asked you to report back about where you'd go on your fictional road trip. Now it's time to get in the car, because we're heading off in all directions!

Becky, writing in comments, wants to visit the Falls: "I know my answer to this assignment, but still in too much pain to form coherent thoughts. I'd go to Niagara Falls. Last time I traveled was by mini-van. That's about it. Now to go remind John I still need him to go to CVS and fill my script for pain meds..."

Unfocused Me would take the Unfocused Family to Louisville: "We would take them to Churchill Downs, and Colonel Sanders’s grave, and whatever else there is to see, like this, but best of all would be the chance for Mrs. Unfocused and me to revisit the place where, 17 years ago, we decided we had to make things work, and set the foundation our marriage four years later. And to get another Churchill Downs Kentucky Derby mint julep glass to replace the one Unfocused Junior broke a couple of years ago."

Saqib sends us on a virtual tour of Karachi: "A popular destination is Park Towers. It's a trendsetting shopping mall overlooking the Arabian Sea. People come from all over to shop here. If you are looking to buy fashionable Pakistani clothing, check out Adnan Amir, a trendy botique located inside of the mall. Be prepared to shell out Rs. 4,000 for a stylish new Kurta."

Mike would take the family to Wisconsin Dells: "It's a relatively pain free drive from the Chicago area, and the kids would have fun. I was looking at the web site just now; it is a lot different than when I was a kid."

Duane would head for Florida, most likely Daytona Beach: "Yes, that's right, Daytona Beach, Florida, for Speedweeks and the 500. Of course, without tickets and reservations made months and months in advance, I probably would have been reduced to begging scalpers for a deal and sleeping in my car or camping out in the infield for days. And it would have been heaven."

Florinda is up for a drive to Carmel and Monterey: "I'd like to make most of the drive along the coastal route, which means I probably won't get there very quickly, but I'll be able to make minor detours along the way to places like Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, and San Luis Obispo. I'd also like to bring Gypsy along for the ride; according to The Dog Lover's Companion to California, Carmel may be one of the most dog-friendly places in the state."

Kiva came up with a late addition and didn't tell me: "If I had the time, I'd just start driving and see where the road takes me. I'm the type that wonders, "well, where does that road go?" and I follow it."

The conclusion to be drawn here is that there are cool destinations within reasonable driving distance of pretty much anywhere people live. Good thing, too, because we all need to get away once in a while. Thanks, folks!

The new Weekend Assignment will follow shortly.

Karen