Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Last Day in Oro Valley

...and I won't have my camera with me!

Totally unedited camera phone shot #1


Tomorrow is my last day at Interesting Manufacturer, or whatever pseudonym I gave the company three months ago. They actually ran out of work for me today. To keep busy I washed my desk, wiped down counters and tables in the kitchen, and even did other people's dishes; but I was still off the clock by 3:30. Tomorrow, if the HR director remembers her keys, I'll have a full day of filing and that will be that. Done. Finito. Unemployed.

Totally unedited camera phone shot #2


And I won't even be able to take one last set of semi-decent landscape photos or inadequate butterfly photos with my Canon Cyber-Shot. On Sunday, I served in church for the first time in a new capacity, as Verger. (I keep forgetting the title, and my brain keeps offering the term Valeyard instead, which is very different!)

The Verger is sort of a master of ceremonies and sergeant at arms in an Anglican church. At St. Michael's the job includes wearing a snazzy red medieval robe, which actually fits me. Since it was my first time wearing it except to try it on, I asked the two torchers (candle bearers) to take a few pictures of me during Mass. They did - but then one of them, who is about 12 or 13 years old, left with his parents about two minutes after Mass, with my camera still in his pocket! They live in the boonies, so I'm picking the camera up from his dad (who works evenings) after I get off work tomorrow. So, no final butterfly photo hunt!

Totally unedited camera phone shot #3

Funny thing, though. The company's head of IT, a great guy by the way, saw me taking a few lame photos with my phone tonight as he was leaving work and I was waiting for John.

"Hard to catch, aren't they?" he said, calling out the window of his truck.

Not sure I'd heard him correctly, or what he meant, I just said, "Yes."

"I've been chasing that black butterly for the last week and a half," he said. "It's just impossible!"

I nodded and chuckled, and he drove away.

Slightly edited camera phone shot

But I think tomorrow I'll email him this picture:



Karen

1 comment:

VergerBill said...

With a Google Alert on the word “verger”, your recent Blog popped up in my daily alerts. I am interested in reading of your serving as Verger for the first time. And in case you are unfamiliar with the Vergers’ Guild of the Episcopal Church, I also wanted to give you some information about the VGEC.

The Vergers’ Guild of the Episcopal Church was founded in 1989 as a service organization devoted to the Office and Ministry of the Verger in the Episcopal Church today. The Guild prints a regular newsletter, The Verger’s Voice, along with an Annual VGEC Membership Directory. The VGEC meets annually, in a 4-day conference, where vergers converge for education, entertainment, social time, and an Annual Banquet. Last year’s 2007 19th VGEC Conference was held in September at the Cathedral Church of Saint John in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This year, 2008, we will meet at the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul in Burlington, Vermont, Thursday thru Sunday, 23-26 October for the 20th National Conference of the Vergers’ Guild of the Episcopal Church. We hope to see you there.

The Vergers’ Guild also has “A Course of Training for a Verger”, that we sell to members. Upon completion of the course, a VGEC Diploma and Virge are presented to the those members during the Annual Banquet at the VGEC National Conference. Last year 6 members were presented with their Diploma and Virge, increasing to 133 those Fellows of the VGEC.

The Guild has an active Web Site ( www.vergers.org ), and a V-List to which anyone can subscribe and contribute to any ongoing lines of conversations, or ask questions concerning vergers and our ministry. Instructions for subscribing to the V-List are on our WebPage.

If you are interested in obtaining a few materials, brochures and hand-outs, I would welcome your interest and/or membership in the Vergers’s Guild of the Episcopal Church. If you have further questions, would like to plan a workshop in your area, need more materials, or any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time. God Bless you always!

Bill
William H Gleason
VGEC President Emeritus
VGEC Guild Shoppe
618 Harpeth Parkway East
Nashville TN

615.646.7061 Voice
615.673.1474 Fax
615.812.9440 Cell
Bill@vergers.org Email
www.vergers.org WebPage