Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Take it Outside

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of people working outside. Because now the weather's right for it (mostly). If you have a photo in your archives of people working outside, that works too.

Humph. This is going to be tricky to do. I was barely even outside today. The only person I saw working outside was a next door neighbor, and I wouldn't presume to photograph him for this. So I need to go to the archives, but I can't, for the most part, because most of the photo files have been cleared out onto CDs to relieve my overburdened hard drive. Those CDs are in one of the many boxes currently stacked in the den as we work on fixing up my office.

But let's see what's still on my hard drive that matches the criteria, shall we? I've found a handful of pictures for you that I haven't shown off before, which show people working outside - but with a strong element of fun.



This latter-day Betsy Ross is sewing a flag in the tent village at the Picacho Pass reenactment. I don't know whether anyone is paying her for the sewing.


Here she is again. Note all the spectators, who are not working.


I also have lots of shots of the faux soldiers, who if they were the actual 19th century combatants could certainly be said to be working. But since these 21st century folks are instead playing soldier for fun (and probably spending lots of money to do it), they don't really count. This policeman, on the other hand, is definitely on the clock. Seems like a fun assignment, though.




This fellow was carving pumpkins at Disneyland last October. I'm guessing his admirer is interested in more than his skill with a knife.


And this chimney sweep, Bert by name, manages to avoid the appearance that he's working at all. Need I mention that this was also taken at Disneyland?

It occurs to me belatedly that John S. paid "people." plural, whereas I've posted individuals working essentially alone. Let's rectify that with a few more Disneyland shots. Full disclosure: John B. may have taken one or both of these last two shots, but I don't think so.



The Dixieland jazz band that works out of the "Disneyland Fire Dept" is a successor to the Firehouse Five Plus Two, a real, working band that included legendary Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ward Kimball.

And here we have Alice and the Mad Hatter arguing, which probably is a lot of work, at least for Alice!

Karen

2 comments:

DesLily said...

say.. isn't that chimney sweep supposed to look like Dick Van Dyke? lol

Jamie the ParkHopper said...

If I hadn't been so keen on showing off the cruise pictures, I would have had dozens of Disney World pics similar to yours that fit the photo shoot. I think I have more pictures of Disney characters than most members of my family!

by the way, how long can one sit in a folding chair and watch someone else sew?