Friday, March 09, 2007

A Dream of Trains

We're going north: not far, not all the way to the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, but north. The plan is to seek out some of the weird or historic Phoenix area sights such as the ones I mentioned last night, and then take the Verde Canyon train ride.



I think the Civil War reenactment is at Picacho Peak on my birthday, and Picacho Peak is on the way to Phoenix. That's the weird-looking mountain in the photos above from last weekend. This was the site of the only Civil War battle in Arizona Territory, the westernmost battle of that war. Here's a better photo of Picacho Peak at sunset, taken on one of my trips to Phoenix last May:

This is about the time of year when Picacho is supposed to be full of wildflowers, in years when it rained the right amount at the right time over the winter. I don't know whether January's snow helps or hurts that cause. I'm not a big fan of flowers, anyway, just curious. To be honest, I'm more interested in Rooster Cogburn's Ostrich Farm, a few miles south of Picacho Peak.


March is also supposed to be a good time to see baby eaglets in Verde Canyon. Now where did we put those binoculars?

Karen


2 comments:

Chris said...

That first sunset photo is simply incredible!

We are taking Trevor to a Civil War re-enactment in Gatlinburg over the July 4th weekend. He can't wait!


Chris
My Blog

Bea said...

It sounds like a beautiful place to visit... would you by chance be able to view any condors? I am very interested in the condor population. Have been reading about them. They are quite a fascinating bird. I'm looking forward to your photos of the trip. bea