Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Night With Picasa

I've been up all night playing with Picasa, Google's photo sharing and organizing program and online service. So far I've basically managed to dump thousands of dupe files from my backup hard drive, and build the following album and slide show:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Mavarin2/TroubleDogs



First impressions:

  • It's hard to figure out how to get started with this thing. I went around and around, trying to use my existing screen name, but couldn't. In the end I went with Mavarin2. There is little or no useful help info, most of the time.
  • Picasa is extremely useful in figuring out what you've got, where it is, and whether you have multiple copies.
  • On the other hand, deleting folders of dupe photos is made difficult by a quirk of programming. Picasa throws a config file into the folder, so it's not empty, so Picasa won't delete the folder. If it's inside another folder, it actually stops Windows from letting you delete the whole thing.
  • Some things are clunky. For example, I didn't find a way to do mass tagging. When you have over 1500 folders containing photos, tagging one photo at a time is going to take a while.

Enough. Cayenne has a vet's appointment in less than three hours for her booster shots. Good night/good morning!

Karen

No comments: