Sunday, October 15, 2006

Good News, Bad News, No News and a Sunset

First, The Sunset

This is the sunset (or post-sunset) that greeted me when John and I emerged tonight to go get dinner. Having slept well into the afternoon after my usual Friday all-nighter, I had no idea it was sunset outside until I saw this. It's not spectacular, but I liked it, and I'm presenting it totally unedited except for image size.

Good News

Okay, it may not be good news yet, but it's potentially good. The Tucson Citizen is looking for new columnists for its "My Tucson" feature:

If you like to write and have something to say, applications are being accepted for the My Tucson columnist position.
The column made its debut this year, with six local people writing their opinions and insights about Tucson and things Tucson.
They will continue through December and a new batch of columnists will commence publication in 2007. The writers are paid.
To apply, please send a sample column of about 500 words with a letter telling why you want to write a regular My Tucson column. Include your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, if any.

I know I don't have a lot of free time (ha!), but this could be a good opportunity for me. You folks seem to enjoy my essays about Tucson weather and Tucson sunsets, vintage businesses and so on. It could be interesting to write a column with a specifically local slant, and good for my resume as a writer. I'm already writing the sample column in my head, and hope to get it sent out soon.


Also, and this is minor good news at best, I got out of the house tonight for a little over an hour to relax and read and buy a few books. I used a gift card I had sitting around to help pay for two diet root beers, a book of essays about Madeleine L'Engle, and the 1961-1962 volume of the complete Peanuts strips in hardcover. It was pleasant, and I don't feel guilty at all about abandoning the Internet for a little while.

But the major good news is not mine, but Becky's. While I've been out of town, coming back, recovering and playing catch-up, she's suddenly adopted a second child, Maxwell Robert Yanagi. Congratulations, Becky!

Bad News



My 101-year-old friend Eva is ill. She called me tonight, sounding awful, and said she'd been vomiting repeatedly. I got her to promise to call 911, but I don't know whether she'll actually do it. She hates being sick, hates being helpless and weak instead of her usual cheerful, independent self. And at 101, you've go to figure that she wonders whether a trip to the hospital will prove to be one-way. But even if it's only the flu, it can be dangerous to someone her age, especially if she tries to tough it out at home. Drop in a prayer for her, will you? Thanks! I know she won't last forever, but I don't want her to be miserable and scared.

No News


I haven't heard from Tor yet. Got to get that follow-up letter sent out!

Karen


Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

Chris said...

My thoughts are with Eva. I bet she is a pistol, even at 101.

Chris
My Blog

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the column!

Becky said...

Suddenly...ha! That's an understatement. LOL! I'm catching up. Hope you have good news about Eva.