Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Take of Two Graveyards, Part Two

For Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot #99: Cemeteries, I took photos at two very different places: the St. Michael's Memorial Garden and East Lawn Palms where my mom is buried. This is the second of the two entries.



My mom didn't really believe in getting cremated, having been raised with old-fashioned Roman Catholic attitudes. I made arrangements for this cemetery and this marker just weeks before she died. I designed the marker from a couple of standard options (stone color, scroll, comedy/tragedy masks and roses) and added a quote from a song my mom wrote in the early 1970s.



Keeping the grass green is an ongoing issue. I've complained but it doesn't help.


The Garden of Love.



The high-rent district, where standing markers are allowed. In my mom's section, all markers must be flat so a law mower can ride over them. Even flowers must be on stands that bend flat.


Some of these high-end markers are rather elaborate...


...and this one is especially striking.



Carly also wanted to see a black and white version of one shot. Here it is!

Karen

No comments: