Tuesday, March 17, 2009

EMPS: Roses in Waiting

For Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot #29: Winter Meets Spring, Carly gives us the option of either looking for signs of the upcoming change of seasons, or else, for places like Tucson that have less pronounced seasons, to design a calendar page for March. As is usual for me, I stubbornly refuse to let Tucson's lack of winter weather stop me from posting a seasonal entry. I'll do the March calendar thing, too - later.


New growth on a tree in the dog park.

I took all of these photos in Reid Park after sunset tonight. Dusk has kept the camera from managing sharp images, but I kind of like the effect of that.


It's a rosebud! No, wait, it's not.

When the dogs and I left the dog park this evening I led them on leashes to the Rose Test Garden in Reid Park to see how the roses are coming along. Mostly, I can't tell that there are any flowers present or imminent. I thought for a moment that the red thing on this bush at the garden fence was a rosebud, but up close it looks more like a crabapple or a mini-pomegranate. I don't know what it actually is. Rose hips? What are rose hips?


They're blurry, but the only for-sure roses I saw.

Here's another plant at the fence line. This one provided the only actual roses I saw for sure.


A tree, or maybe a bush, in bloom. But what kind of flowers?

I have occasionally heard of "rose trees" out here. I don't know if a rose plant as such can be a tree. If so, is that what this is?


The Test Rose Garden at dusk.

Inside the garden, which was locked, the roses of rose bushes are starting to show signs of color, if not necessarily buds or flowers.

Be sure to check Ellipsis each week for the Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot. And I'll be back tonight with Part Two of my entry for this week.

Karen

6 comments:

Susan said...

I think that's a Lady Bankston (spell?) Rose. They are thornless and have a profusion of small white roses. Bloom around here this time of year. I enjoyed your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne R said...

Nice pictures all. They give a good idea of what winter meeting spring is all about in your part of the world.

Jama said...

It's fun seeing all those winter meeting spring photos here, really an eye opener, since this is something I never experience.

Carly said...

Hi Karen

Ah yes, roses are a favorite sign of spring. Lovely.

-Carly

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think it is a rose hip.they are formed after a rose blooms they look like little apples..what a wonderful area you have to visit there Karen. I would imagine down there you can have Roses Bushes that look like trees! :)

Mike said...

Do you have winter in Tucson? :)

I like the tree starting to sprout leaves.