Tuesday, September 18, 2007

No Future

That subject line is a bit melodramatic, isn't it? But read on.

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of something in your house you used to use a lot, but now hardly use at all. This could be a piece of obsolete technology, or possibly some equipment for a hobby you no longer pursue, or just something you stopped fiddling with for no good reason at all -- the basic idea is simply to highlight something that no longer has that much use for you, for whatever reason.

Okay, then. But see below for news.

Quantum Leap and other videos, taped off network tv. The first run ones are still worth keeping, because the DVD boxes of most Quantum Leap seasons have replaced the licensed music with cheaper options. But it occurred to me tonight that the only VCR set up in the house right now is a DVD/VCR combo in the bedroom. The monitor for that video player is a Commodore 64 monitor. Talk about obsolete!



Here's one of the old VCRs, plus a turntable, plus a leather satchel that's seen better days. I actually wish the turntable were set up to I could play records sometimes, but there's no room for it anywhere, and the records themselves are buried behind boxes.

An electric blanket doesn't get much use in Tucson. The crocheted navy blanket behind it was knitted by a friend when I was in high school.

I can't tell you the last time I pulled my college-vintage guitar off the shelf. It's a hand-me-down from an old college roommate of mine, who had upgraded to a Martin. The blue box below is my Casio keyboard, I think. The batteries probably ran out years ago.


Right. Today I found out whether I get to stay with Anonymous Regional Retailer! No, I don't. My temp position runs out either at the end of the week or early next week. I withdrew from consideration on two other jobs on the chance of getting this one. It didn't work out. I was diligent and cheerful and cooperative, and everyone in the office likes me, including my immediate boss. But the owners chose someone else. One barrier, I was told, was the cost of the finder's fee on top of the salary I would have had. No other reasons were given. Sigh.

My resume is updated, and uploaded to one of the job posting sites. I've also sent it, by invitation, to a local CPA firm. That's all I can do tonight.

Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that.

MyMaracas said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Karen. I could tell you really wanted that position. Here's hoping you find an even better one right around the corner.

Vicki

Carly said...

Hey Karen

I don't know what to say, I really thought you had it, I know it meant a lot to you. Hang in there, good things are to come. I promise.

Always, Carly