Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dead Woman Typing

House finches and ocotillo outside ARR!

I suppose it's natural to swim through a sea of conflicting emotions as a job ends. Today my boss announced my departure at the office meeting, and I got a round of applause. Even so, I feel slightly more alienated each day. There are a number of little signals that I'm not really part of the family, not a real employee instead of a temp. I don't use the time clock (no loss), don't get paid for holidays or jury duty, don't get in on little incentives other than food, and probably can't award "Drops" to people. And somehow, I've never managed to connect half a dozen co-workers to their names.

This afternoon, my boss and I agreed that Friday would be my last day. I could have tried to make a case for working on Monday, but it doesn't make sense. I'm caught up on almost everything, and don't need the extra day to finish up. And my office will be needed on Monday for the new person.

What I am, this week, is a lame duck accountant. Not quite an employee, not quite gone, I struggle to make sure I'm doing everything I need to do before I leave, knowing that the things I learn now I will not be able to apply later on. So I leave behind notes in Word and Excel, messages to the next person who has to learn these things.

Tomorrow is the dog's surgery and the interview with Famous Vehicle Dealer (FVD). I worked late tonight, so I'm in good shape on hours. It's nearly 1 AM, and I'm dropping the dog off early, so I'd better get to bed.

Karen

1 comment:

DesLily said...

hopefully this job will be the one.. really sorry the one you are at didn't work out..

Awww I hope Tuffy does well.