Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lights of the Museum of the Weird

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Snap a picture of a really interesting lamp or light fixture.

Well, let's see. I've already shown you folks the vintage turquoise and salmon pole lamp, the flower power night light, and the lamp full of Happy Meal toys. But if you think that's about it for lighting-oriented exhibits here at Casa Blocher, the Museum of the Weird, you're underestimating our weirdness quotient rather badly!


Somewhere I have some experimental photos from 2005 of one of our weirder vintage lamps. I can't remember whether I ever used any of them; they were for past entries about color and texture and hard-to-identify images. If I turn one up quickly enough I'll throw it in here. If, not, well, I'm sure your life won't be blighted too badly by its absence. (Aha! Found them!)


Here's another vintage lamp, which currently sits next to the Moses carving and under the Cugat painting in the front room. It's not plugged in; I don't even know whether it works. But it's still pretty neat, and in nice shape for a 50-year-old lamp, don't you think?


I don't quite know what the deal is with this old western-themed lamp. I suspect it was hand made. It came from a yard sale about ten years ago. It's dusty because it's on top of a room divider, not plugged in and not very accessible for cleaning. The truth is that we have more interesting old lamps (and some interesting newer ones also) than places to use them.


The rest of these are all of one or both of a pair or vintage hanging lamps in our den/tv room. There were rather hard to photograph adequately, but these three shots are kind of interesting anyway. This first shot is of one of the lamps as reflected in a vintage mirror.


This second one shows both lamps, plus the mod yellow-base lamp in my office.


And here is a better idea what the lamp as a whole looks like.

I'm still having rather severe sleep deprivation issues, so that's it for tonight.

Karen
1:31 AM, as the rain begins

2 comments:

Carly said...

Yep, those are weird! LOL.

"Their house is a museum, when people come to see-um, they really are a screa-um, the Blocher Family"

:)

DesLily said...

some of those lamps are nearly as old as I am!! Good grief! lol lol