Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Mostly Textures

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of something in extreme close-up -- so close it's hard to tell what you're looking at. Ask people to guess. On Thursday, reveal what you've photographed.

Okay, so I glanced over this Photo Shoot earlier today without really paying attention. Last time we did this, I took a lot of extremely puzzling pictures of portions of our Museum of the Weird artifacts. But this time, I skipped over the hard-to-guess part, and took a bunch of pictures of textures, mostly at work. I did manage to produce a few puzzlements, though. Here they are:

A


B


C


D


E


F




So what are they?

In other news, I spent much of yesterday afternoon at the local MVD office. See, in Arizona, a driver's licence is now good for a quarter of a century(!), or until you turn 60 if that comes first. Mine was issued in 1993, and expires in 2017. But they don't want you to actually carry that same physical license around that long, and besides, that stupid prove-you're-not-an-illegal-immigrant proposition of a few years back resulted in a ruling that to vote, you need a driver's licence less than five years old. So I got a notice to get a new photo taken. The deadline was yesterday, so I went.

It took hours. Just getting a number probably took 20 minutes. And there was a loud, manic guy in the room who was almost impossible to ignore. I didn't understand what he was talking about, exactly, but he mentioned the military a lot, and at one point recited a marching cadence without resorting to rhythm. At another point he did a somersault in the middle of the floor, and landed on his back. He actually got applauded a couple of times, but for me, watching him had the same shameful quality as gawking at a traffic accident. So I opened my leather notebook read over pages of scenes and partial scenes from Mall of Mâvarin and Joshua Wander: My Favorite Ghost. Then I managed to write part of one scene for the third novel before my number was finally called.

Now I have a licence with mountains on it, and my 49-year-old face, and a more representative version of my signature, and my current address instead of a PO Box shut down ten years also. And a lot of time to make up at work. When am I going to do that?

Karen


Technorati Tags:
, ,

1 comment:

Becky said...

OK...I have 20 entries to catch up on. (20!!!) I wanted to keep reading, as I have been for the last hour, in reverse order, until done, and THEN comment... but you know I can't resist a photo challenge.

A. Red leather chair or sofa?

B. contents of a paper shredder?

C. Faux silk plant of some variety?

D. Um...either an on/off indicator on a PC or up/down indicator on an elevator?

E. Cactus spines!

F. Water bottle or water cooler jug in front of a colored background. Looks like the same grooves as my Poland Springs bottle I am currently drinking from.