Saturday, September 24, 2011

Round Robin: My Favorite Obsession

Listen, for the Round Robin Challenge: My Favorite, I really did try to come up with a different favorite subject from the one I'm going to feature here tonight. Favorite toy? Nah, already showed you. Favorite vista on Mount Lemmon? Didn't make it up there. Favorite book? Variable, and not very interesting to photograph. And so on. Nothing really did it for me, and I was running out of time.

So I'm going to show you parts of my Doctor Who collection, from my all-time favorite television show. Doctor Who. It first aired in the UK on November 23, 1963 and lasted until December 1989, was revived in 2005 and is again going strong on both sides of the Atlantic, in something like 40 countries around the world.

whos8353

At first, I thought I wouldn't have anything interesting to show you. I don't really buy much by way of Doctor Who toys and collectibles. I own a few hundred books and nearly as many videos, but how photogenic is that? So I set up some of the box sets on a shelf, along with a few other things I do have. Clockwise from left, you can see  a heavily-autographed copy of The Doctor Who Encyclopedia, box sets of Series One through Five (2005-2010) on DVD or Blu-Ray, a fan novella called Paradox that I wrote in the early 1990s, the last Target novel I needed to complete my collection of novelizations circa 2000, a TARDIS bank (that's the blue thing, representing the faux "police box" the Doctor travels in), a sonic screwdriver, the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, a cartoon sketch of the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant), and a disappearing TARDIS mug.

whos8356

Here's a better look at the sketch and the autographed book. The latter has been to two Gallifrey One conventions in Los Angeles, and has been autographed by numerous writers, actors and behind the scenes people.

whop8389

The more I worked on this entry tonight, the more I remembered other things I could show you. I'll spare you the photos of the TARDIS towel, trading cards, TARDIS Time Lore fanzines and the FoDW keyring, but what about this? This original art by Ruben Calvillo is about 24" x 36", and made with either colored pencil or pastels. It cost me $100 at a local convention circa 1996.

whop8385

This poster was on the back of my office door here at home for about 16 years. Until tonight. It's from a 1991-1995 Doctor Who exhibit of props and costumes (etc.) at the Museum of the Moving Image in London. The exhibit was called called "Behind the Sofa," which is where British children are said to hide when Doctor Who episodes get scary.

trou8395

And finally, here's an autographed photo of the late Patrick Troughton, the second person to play the Doctor on television. Unfortunately, I never met him myself. I have met four of his successors, though.

You can find more photos here. And if you're interested in Doctor Who, you may want to follow my new Tumblr blog.

Now let's see what other Robins singled out as favorites!

Linking List
as of 12:32 PM MST Saturday

Karen - Posted!
Outpost Mâvarin
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com

Jama - Posted!
Sweet Memories
http://mummyjam.blogspot.com

Freda - Posted!
Day One
http://fredamans.blogspot.com

Sherrie - Posted!
Food for Thought(new blog)
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/

Chris
CJP Blog
http://theotokos.christopherjosephphotography.com/

Tina - Posted!
Leckeres für Mensch und Katze - Goodies for a pleasant life
http://leckeresfuermenschundkatze.blogspot.com/2011/09/wonderful-moments.html

Karen

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I don't think I've ever watched this program. I'll have to check it out. Great collection. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought

Jama said...

You sure are a collector Karen! I remembered the Doctor Who, but not really a big fan of them.

Chris said...

Wow! Nice collection!