Sunday, January 30, 2011

EMPS: Garbage Decoration Day?

For the first time ever, I forgot to do the Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot last week! Every time there has been a Monday Photo Shoot, since John Scalzi started it in the days of AOL Journals, I've always, always done it. Until now. Ah, well, the streak is broken. But that won't stop me from doing this week's EMPS!



The theme is Garbage Day, and so I photographed the red trash in the kitchen this afternoon, before and after I emptied it. But that's a little boring, and John would not be pleased to see our trash on display. So instead I've dug into my archives for some photos I took at Reid Park in the summer of 2009.



There was a time, after Tuffy died and I was laid off from Beaudry RV, that I was going to Reid Park every day with Cayenne and Pepper. The dog park was there, of course, but after a while I started rambling all over the main park with the dogs, exploring and taking pictures.



One feature of Reid Park that always fascinated me was the use of painted 50-gallon(?) drums as trash cans, all over the park. In the dog park area, they were used for cleaning up after the dogs, but elsewhere they were positioned by picnic tables, outside the rose garden and so on. They were all labeled Reid Park Zoo, even though these were outside the zoo itself; and they had all been obviously been decorated by children. One wonders whose idea it was to enlist kids at the zoo for this project: "Now, class, today we will be painting garbage cans." Not that I'm knocking this. I actually think these are kind of cool! As you can see, they are all ecologically themed.

Actually, I once decorated a trash, nearly thirty years ago. I photocopied the cover of an LP by The Clash, did some cutting and rearranging so that it said The Trash, and used clear contact paper to attach all this to a green trash basket. We called it the Clash Trash, and had it for quite a few years before it got, well, trashed.

Karen

3 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Karen

What a great approach to Public Art! LOL. Here in the Bay Area the cities and counties have taken to paining electrical boxes with different murals. There are some really great ones in Hayward, where I am moving to, and also in Emeryville, which is so close to Berkeley, I sometimes think of it as such. This inspires me to get out with the camera and look for new public art! :) VERY NICE.

-Carly

Dumpster Dude said...

Quite an interesting and attractive strategy to use trash cans and bins.

jr cline said...

Pretty garbage can.
I miss some weeks of the photo challenge. I may miss this week. Friends is a difficult topic for me.