Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Disneyland by Mavica, 2003

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Find a picture from 2003 and post it. Any picture is fine; it just has to be from the now-oh-so-distant year of two thousand aught-three. Surely you have pictures from then? Yes?

Fireworks over Disneyland trees, newly re-edited.

I wasn't at all sure I had any 2003 photos accessible, actually. My initial rooting around kept turning up pictures from 2004 and 2005, but nothing from the target year. But I kinda thought 2003 was the year of one of our Disneyland trips, and it turns out I was right! I searched for files with MVC in the name, sorted by date, and there they were.

MVC was the prefix on filenames for shots taken on our Sony Mavica camera.

It was our first digital camera. I think we paid around $500 for it at Sears. It had better resolution than some of the other early digitals, and John liked that it stored the pictures on floppies, about 10 to a disk if I recall correctly, but it may have been a bit more than that.

By today's standards, those 2003 pictures off the Mavica look pretty dismal, but the cheap photo editing software I use these days is better at salvaging them than anything I used in 2003. For the fireworks shot above I darkened the image considerably, which hid a guy in the foreground from view. I also boosted the saturation and I think used smart blur. I could show you the unedited version, but let's save that for other examples.


Here is tonight's edit of part of the Star Traders sign in Tomorrowland, mostly just cropped and darkened.

Here's the unedited version, grainy and overexposed. I think maybe I took this photo, and the others here, but John took most of the Disneyland pictures and it was a long time ago, so I can't be sure.



This photo of a Lilo & Stitch display window at the Emporium was probably taken at night. The flash washed it out, but without flash it was too dark.

Here's tonight's edit of the same thing.

2003 was before I started blogging (my first entry of Musings was 3/30/04), but John Scalzi started By the Way back in August, 2003 (and his non-AOL blog started quite a few years before that). Happy Anniversary, Blogfather, and keep up the good work.

I have to wrap up this rather short entry tonight - I have a job interview in the morning, and over an hour's drive to get to it. Good night!

Karen

1 comment:

DesLily said...

over an hour to an interview?! gads! I hope if you get it that you don't have to travel that every day!!