Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Break, of Sorts

The Doctor and Potter

Over the last two days, the only edits I made on Wikipedia were to add a "Wikibreak" notice to the top of my user and user talk pages. A Wikibreak is pretty much what it sounds like: a break from Wikipedia. Some people take a Wikibreak in order to study for exams or go on vacation, or just because they're burned out or stressed out. I suppose I've got a bit of the burn out factor at the moment, but the real reason is the one I gave: I'm going to be busy obsessing about other stuff instead.

Captain Jack, Mages and the Sorcerer's Stone

See, having finished my edit of Heirs of Mâvarin, I have the momentum now to keep going and work on Mages of Mâvarin. (I also need to badger John about getting that printout done so I can send Heirs off!) I just finished work on Chapter Two of Mages again, which takes me to page 70. I can't say I'm working with total concentration, but that should improve after some sleep and once I get deeper into the trilogy. I've edited these early chapters so many times that it's hard for me to read every word with an eye to improving it. I don't expect to keep up a chapter-a-day pace for long, because some of the later chapters are a) much longer and b) much more labor-intensive, needing additions and deletions and changes galore.

I'm reading other books as well, in part because that sort of input seems to help with the writing and editing. It's been several days since I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but now seems like a good time to read through the entire series, all 4224 pages of it, according to a B&N flyer. I'm in Chapter Four of the first book now, when Harry first meets Hagrid. Good stuff! Plus I have a Doctor Who novel to finish reading.

And yes, I'm still watching Doctor Who as well. I don't know when I'll get burned out on that.

Karen

No comments: