Thursday, March 20, 2008

Weekend Assignment Results: The News That Fits


Last week I asked how much interest everyone has in the news these days. The responses:

Becky answered directly in the comments: "Pretty much, I just scan the headlines on the AOL home page. I'll read the full article if it catches my interest. The one about the 800 dogs in your neck of the woods certainly caught my eye. I thought about you immediately and wondered if you'd change your dog specs and get one of the little mexican yappers. ;-) I must say, I have a soft spot for them since the Taco Bell dog. Love him. LOL"

Julie: "This is an easy one. I'm an old journalist. So yes, I'm a bit of an information junkie."

Saqib: "As far as the News is concerned I can only take small doses. It seems to me that the only news fit to print is bad news. And if you watch or read too much of it you get depressed. That's why I go to online newspapers and only scan the headlines."

Sarah: "I don't always want to listen to the news. Sometimes it upsets me. Sometimes it bores mes. But I do want to keep a pulse on what's going on in the area, the state, the nation, the world."

Mike: "I read the Chicago Tribune and will get some news off the radio and internet, but that is about it. It's not that I don't know what is going on in the country, or world, I think I get my share."

Duane: "Yes, I'm pretty much a news junkie, but I have very little interest in the 'baby in the well' (or to use more recent references, the '800 dogs in a mobile home' or the 'woman stuck to the toilet seat') stories. I prefer hard news. I want to know what's really going on in the world."

Florinda: "I think the best way to describe my news-following habits is to call myself an "intermittent" news junkie. Depending on what's going on in the world at a given time, I may devour current-events stories, but eventually I'll hit a saturation point and start to tune out."

Megan: "I sometimes watch the news all day long and other days I just can't take it. I am definitely sick of the rehashing of the same issue."

Kiva: "I don't think I'm a news junkie, although I like to be aware of what's going on. I find odd news fascinating."

Interesting. It looks as though even when we're relatively burned out on the news, we still make an effort to stay informed. Hooray for us!

The new Weekend Assignment will follow shortly. Oh, and by the way, between Holy Week, the new dog, minor illness and other distractions, I still owe everyone comments on the above entries. I'll get to it, but it may not be until Sunday. You forgive me, right?


Karen

No comments: