Monday, March 03, 2008

Monday Photo Shoot: Fire or Ice

New Monday Photo Shoot #10: As we head into March, some places are heating up, some are cooling off, and some are hanging onto winter a while longer. Is there ice hanging from the eaves, or are you firing up the charcoal? Are you throwing another log in the fireplace, or sipping a cold drink? Show us what you have by way of fire or ice. If you can show both, that's extra nice!



Living in Tucson as I do, I've got about zero chance of seeing ice any time soon, except in cube form. If you don't get too literal, though, the combination is implied in the photo above, with our refrigerator and gas stove. John's always annoyed if I use either of the burners on the right, lest it make the fridge work too hard.


I was surprised to find ice in the freezer, since I never think to use any. In our self-defrosting freezer, the ice cubes tend to shrink, I think. This vintage glass holds an entire tray's worth.

I thought some blueberry-pomegranate juice would make the ice stand out more, but it pretty much did the opposite.


So I added Diet Sprite to make it more translucent. Tastes good that way, too.


I actually took a photo with the burner lit, but the flame really wasn't very visible. So here are my pickup sticks matches instead. But just for fun, here's a rerun:


Karen's brain on fireKaren's Fried Brain, February 2007



Aw, the heck with it. When in doubt, fake it! This ice grotto was at Niagara Falls in 1986.

Your turn! photograph something fiery or icy or both, post the photo(s) in your blog or journal (with a link back here, please), and then stop by here with a link to the entry. I'll post my roundup of results on Sunday night, March 9th. Have fun!

Karen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cute entry and love the theme for this week. I'll be back with mine by the weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm from a tropical island near the equator, so no chance of snow at all.....let's me see what I can come out with, I'll definitely be back!

barrettmanor said...

I waited a day for this one because we had snow last night! Got a whole inch of the stuff. Astounding.

http://www.barrettmanor.com/julie/archive.aspx?ID=1962

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's finally up!

http://mummyjam.blogspot.com/2008/03/monday-photoshoot.html

MyMaracas said...

Love the fried brain photo -- very creative.

Here's what's going on in my area, fire-and-icewise:

http://mymaracas.blogspot.com/2008/03/monday-photo-shoot-fire-and-ice.html

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I was so busy catching up on blogs that I forgot to post my MPS!!! Gues it's my brain that's fried in that pan, LOL!
Be back to post in just a bit.

Anonymous said...

My brain really is fried -- I went and posted and then almost forgot to come back to leave a link!
Here it is...
http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/perception/entries/2008/03/09/monday-photo-shoot/676

Anonymous said...

I know I'm coming in on the tail end of the week, but I was just reminded when I saw Marth's entry. I have a perfect one for this shoot...

http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/entries/2008/03/09/monday-photo-shoot-fire-or-ice/2023

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/