Monday, June 30, 2008

New Monday Photo Shoot #27: Strange and Silly Signs

Okay, this is kind of a rerun of a 2006 Round Robin topic, but I've tried to give it a bit of a twist:

New Monday Photo Shoot #27: Show us a sign that's unusual in some way - even if you have to fake it!

I'm sure that there are lots of interesting, even silly signs where you live, so this should be fairly easy. Myself, I came up with the topic at midnight, and wasn't about to get dressed and go sign-hunting tonight! Instead I just went as far as a sign in front of my next door neighbor's house, took the picture, and then altered it in PhotoStudio. Here it is:



Just thought I'd make the suggested speed for the curve in Calle Mumble a bit more generous!

If that's not enough, here are two views of a sign that was once common in England, but now exists only on props and other representations of the Doctor's TARDIS. This first one is a detail from a pastel drawing I bought at TusCon a decade ago:


It actually didn't photograph very well; too much shine from the flash.

The other depiction is from my TARDIS beach towel:

Beyond the Doctor Who reference, I find the instructions from an old police box interesting as a relic of a bygone era before cell phones.

Now, I'm sure you can top these pictures with great funny, unusual or wickedly altered signs of your own. So how about it? Post your sign pictures to your blog or journal, and remember to leave a link back here in your blog, and a link to your entry in the comments below. I'll be back in a week with the results. Meanwhile, this is Karen, signing off!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to consider the sign assignment... I'm thinking you are getting over the coughing and wheezing, but you didn't mention it today, so I'm hoping that the present entry means you are getting better. It didn't sound good, your entry yesterday...do take care... get better! Also, a side note, I browsed the entry about "weed or not a weed?" and noticed how perky Tuffy looked back in 2005, her head up, her ears attentively high.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks for the laugh, Karen! Great signs! I'd like to anybody take that turn at 150 mph.

barrettmanor said...

I've got yer silly signs, rat cheer!

http://www.barrettmanor.com/julie/archive.aspx?ID=2192

Steven said...

Signs! Yup, got silly signs I do.

http://www.sometimesblog.com/2008/06/new-monday-photo-shoot-27-strange-and.html

Carly said...

My signs are posted and ready for viewing right here...

http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-monday-photo-shoot-27-stange-and.html

Nancy said...

Funny stuff....I know some folks who WOULD take that turn at 150!

And ah yes...the days before cell phones...I remember them well.
:/

Anyway, I'll get my post up soon!

Nancy

Nancy said...

Hey Karen!
I played this time. Got it in just in time...at least I hope so!

Nancy

http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix/entries/2008/07/06/whats-your-sign/2304