Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm Walkin' (Yes Indeed)

So to get some exercise in preparation for Disneyland, enjoy nature, do something interesting and maybe even lose a little weight, I've been walking down to Oracle Road and back on my lunch break. I may venture out onto Oracle itself tomorrow; we'll see. There is one shopping center within walking distance, but probably not close enough to eat something and get back in an hour.

It's also been closer to 110 degrees than 100, I think, officially but so far it hasn't been much of a problem for me. I'm not sure why. I just clicked close to Oro Valley on a weather map, and it gave a high today of 111.


Does this look like desert to you? This is the street between Oracle and the one Interesting Manufacturer is on. There are a variety of trees as well as cactus. But some parts of the desert do have trees; it depends on the elevation.


And yes, there are flowers, too. I'm not a flower fan, but I like these because of the bright colors and the variety of shapes and textures.

This saguaro has fruit on the ends of the arms, and holes for birds to nest in. Woodpeckers start the holes, but after that it may be home to doves, owls, cactus wrens, etc.

This is kind of a "Where's Waldo" shot. There is a cactus wren in this tree. Can you find it? I tried to photograph some kind of flycatcher (or was it a woodpecker? I forget) in a different shot, but could not find the bird myself.

I'm rushing to bed now. Last night I went to bed at midnight (a definite improvement!) only to lie awake for an hour. I'm tired enough tonight that I'm hoping the insomnia will let up for a change.

Karen

2 comments:

Jama said...

That orange yellow flower is commonly known as Peacock Flower here in Singapore, lots of them around.
I like to walk around too in my town too, can take photos at the same time! :)

Becky said...

One thing I positively say about my days as a working girl...I did a lot of walking. Since I became a stay-at-home mom? Next to no walking. I get winded going to the mailbox and back. I see several moms of Tyler's classmates who walk their kids to and from school each day. That has become my goal for the start of the new school year. I wonder how long it will take to work my way up to that distance. LOL