Thursday, August 28, 2008

Weekend Assignment Results: The World Was Watching

I'm a little surprised - pleased by surprised - at the excellent response to last week's Weekend Assignment #230: The World Is Watching, in which I asked whether you watched the Olympics this year. The responses covered different levels of interest, different sports, and even different Olympics, which is fine by me!

Becky said in comments...

While I have a small interest in some summer olympic sports, I haven't seen even a MOMENT of this years events. Not even recaps on the news (which I also haven't watched lately). I have seen a couple names mentioned online and a photo here and there. That's about it.

Barbara said in comments...

I don't watch the olympics religiously but I do enjoy the gymnastics, in the winter I like the ice skating.
Barbara


Laura said...

I caught a couple of races with Michael Phelps. I usually watch more than I have, but I was traveling around the country and had not set TiVo to tape them before I left. I like watching swimming, volleyball, and track on TiVo, since you can fast forward and find out who wins without sitting through the whole thing. The swim team guys were really buff this year.


Sarah said...

Um, the Olympics have been happening? OK, actually it isn't quite that bad. I know the Olympics began on 8/8/08 and ended today. Having been in Beijing myself two years ago, I even made a few first-hand observations of the city's gargantuan efforts to prepare itself for them.


Florinda said...

Even if the sports had more appeal to me, I feel that the way the TV coverage is done detracts from the games themselves. I don't really enjoy the "USA vs. the world" angle; isn't it "every country in the world vs. each other," really? The soft-focus human-interest stories about the favored athletes have become joke fodder rather than interesting background.


Mike said...

I'll admit, I got sucked in to the Michael Phelps hype. I wanted to see if he'd break Mark Spitz record. I remember pretending to be him with my brother and step-brother when we would go to the pool. I was only three when he won the medals, but he was still popular. Didn't he do aftershave ads? That's where I probably saw him first.


Kiva said...

This year we were staying with friends in Gardnerville and they had the Olympics on from morning to night. I was blown away by the Opening Ceremonies. That huge LCD screen was amazing, but I was rather frightened by the precision of the dancers and the drummers. Very scary -- it was like seeing the Borg come to life.

Bea said in comments...

Sorry for my absence....these past few weeks have been focused on school. I did watch the Olympics, as much as I could. The opening was spectacular. I'm going to order the DVD of that event. I caught glimpses of the gymnastics, swimming, men's volleyball, beach volleyball, the relay races, pole vault, fencing, and diving competitions. When I wasn't sleeping or in school!


Thanks, folks! The new topic will be posted shortly.

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my absence....these past few weeks have been focused on school. I did watch the Olympics, as much as I could. The opening was spectacular. I'm going to order the DVD of that event. I caught glimpses of the gymnastics, swimming, men's volleyball, beach volleyball, the relay races, pole vault, fencing, and diving competitions. When I wasn't sleeping or in school!