Sunday, January 28, 2007

Entirely Different Distractions

Starting the "Revolution" on paper

I did get the end of that scene from The Mâvarin Revolutions posted over on Messages from Mâvarin, not at 4 AM but in the early afternoon. When I mentioned this to John tonight at dinnertime, he said, "I don't even know what that [The Mâvarin Revolutions] is." See, this book is so new, at least past that someday-I-hope-to-write-this stage, that my own husband had never heard of it until today. For the record, it's the book that comes after Return to Mâvarin, which is the last volume of the Mages of Mâvarin trilogy (although it's all one story), which in turn follows Heirs of Mâvarin, my first novel, which is now in its 12th month in the Tor slushpile. Not that I'm complaining. As I've said before, I'd rather it be Still Under Consideration than Definitely Rejected.

Fayubi, King Jor and good Chinese food (not shown)

Anyway, I got the scene with Will and the Princess finished, and later this afternoon, just before my haircut, I started working on the next scene over a plateful of egg foo young. And why not? Both Heirs and Mages were primarily written in restaurants. Why shouldn't Revolutions emerge the same way?

But tonight I decided to check Making Light, and see what these people I want to be my editors have been up to lately. That's when I found a blog entry about a woman who promoted herself as an Editor on the Inside when she wasn't, basically to promote a $595 pitch conference she's involved with. As is usual with ML entries that uncover someone's scammy or scummy activities, the revelation was followed by uproar and uproariousness. At last peek the comment count stood at 750, of which my only comment is at #745.

Now you know what I did all night instead of Wikipedia, laundry, dishes, selecting photos for the church directory, cleaning my office, or typing the scene in which Fayubi visits Jor.



I'll try to do better tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's a nice picture of Tuffy that I didn't post last night. Tonight at dinner, John and I discussed Tuffy's age (which I just looked up - she's nearly 11 years old), and whether she's a Good Dog. John is of the opinion that Tuffy just isn't affectionate enough for his taste. Also, I don't think he's ever forgiven her for tearing up a couch, a loveseat and a strip of wallpaper when she was five weeks old.

Karen

No comments: