Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I mean it must be high or low

Click the entry title above for a web page with a nice Strawberry Fields Forever midi.

I'm sitting here with my new Nikon Coolpix P1 on the laptop in front of me, waiting for something called PictureProject to finish importing all the pictures in My Pictures so that the computer software and hardware can get around to noticing that the camera is plugged into the computer via USB. In theory, I should be able to transfer my first handful of pictures from the Nikon in this way. But first I have to wait. 6251 pictures imported and counting...!

So that's the big news of the day. John stopped at Costco after work and got the camera, the new Harry Potter DVD and the My Neighbor Totoro DVD. (Thank you, thank you, thank you, John!) Then I went to Best Buy to get an SD memory card. Since then I've been following the "Quick Start" instructions, taking a few pictures, and installing software. It's great, it's wonderful, I'm very happy - but it's time intensive. So now it's 10:30 PM,and I need to rush to write this entry and get the photos transfered and uploaded by midnight. (Didn't make it! Drat!)

7293 and counting.

The other news of the day is that the infamous postcard arrived from the doctor's office. The remarkable thing about it is not that my HDL was 71, my LDL was 112 and my triglycerides were 118. No, the remarkable part is that other than a squiggle next to the printed words "Your laboratory tests were all normal (meaning that they were), there is no further indication that they tested for anything else at all. Was my blood sugar high or low? Did they check? What about the mild anemia that made the Red Cross turn me away twice so far this year? Do I have hypothyroidism, even mildly? I think that under the circumstances these are reasonable questions to ask. I mean, as long as they're going to struggle mightily to get blood out of my half-hidden, undersized, rolling veins, shouldn't they be testing for something that might explain why my legs and ankles are still swollen with fluid, and red and itchy and awful? Wasn't that kind of the point of the exercise?

Last week, when they told me they mailed a postcard instead of bothering to call, I thought it at least meant that certain possible conditions had been eliminated, such as diabetes. Now I realize it doesn't rule out anything except atherosclerosis - maybe.

9746 pictures imported. Total. That doesn't count the many pictures in my two web folders, or the Sherlock art in my "mavarin" folder, or stuff I moved off the computer onto CD. Now Nikon is downloading an update to some software or other.

Blogger said it imported five photos, but they did not appear in this edit posts window. But I'm going to introduce them anyway, and then try to get them in here somehow.


The obligatory stuff-that-came-with-the-camera photo, picture number one.


More books I missed last night: the bookshelves at my elbow, beneath the printer...


...and the stack o' books to be put away.


And of course I had to photograph Tuffy. This one is a little unusual because she's looking at John instead of me and the camera. No doggie-flash-eye!


and finally...


Now it can be told: my car is a time machine. You didn't think I actually made up that stuff about Future Karen and the picnic with presidents Jefferson and Madison, did you?

Next time: Signs - a Round Robin Reminder! (tm)

Karen

3 comments:

Carly said...

Ahhhhhhhhh...

There is nothing like the first 24 hours with a new digi! Cool photos. I love the one of Tuffy, such a gorgeous doggie. :)

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest picture ever!

Please tell me that you have backed up all those thousands of pictures somewhere. I have such awful luck keeping computers running that I have taken to backing up my personal photos every two or three months.

ShellyS said...

Congrats on the camera. And Paul is right. I've been backing my photos up on CD every few days. I've been scanning my old film photos in, too, so I can archive them on CD, too.