Saturday, December 03, 2005

And So It Begins.

If you look at the bottom of my sidebar in the Archives section, you'll see it now has a link dated March 2004. If you click on that link, you will find all the entries I posted during my first week or so of blogging on AOL, except for the fiction entries, which are already archived and indexed on Messages from Mâvarin. I hope somebody bothers to look at these, because this is going to be a horrendous amount of work!

Back then, at least for the first several entries, I had no text controls at all on AOL, I could only post pictures in the tiny size inside those awful YGP albums, and each entry was limited to 1000 characters. My early entries were mostly quite short, anyway. For these repostings, I've moved the pictures out of their boxes, added italics and accents to the text, and posted several of the old AOL entries in each new/old Blogger entry. Oh, and I'm preserving comments, at least from the early postings, back when I had a readership of about five people.



I also reposted my Favorite Quotes page to http://mavarin.com/quotes.html. This is the first of many web pages to be moved from AOL. I started with this one because there was a link to it in one of my March '04 Musings entries, a link I updated tonight.

Karen

4 comments:

DesLily said...

Ya know Karen.. i only began my journal in October.. and i quickly found it very enjoyable and relaxing..

since this whole thing began with aol ads i've felt nothing but down and it's turned into a LABOR OF WORK. I will finish my "work" by yet having to save my "comments" ..but will only save them to "Word" where i have already backed up everything. (yes i am fortunate that I only had a few months of posts!)

I feel really torn. Right now I am at blogspot and mirror to aol. Many i read are not leaving JLand.

On one side, since i have to see that ads when i read them, I feel i may as well keep my mirror journal going. On the other hand that just gives aol a journal to advertise on that gets "hits". And by reading those that stay I am also giving them "hits"...

It sounds stupid to me to be so overwhelmed and so distraut over "an ad" but it's turned into something really ugly forcing people to "give aol more opportunity to exploit someone" or leave people who have started to mean something to me.

I just wish there was an answer to it all...

http://journals.aol.com/deslily/HereThereandEverywhere/

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/

ShellyS said...

I know it's been difficult. I remember suggesting to you that blogging might be fun and maybe you could post some fictional Mavarin entries. heh. Who knew where that would lead. I was so typical of people who throw themselves into something new; I wanted everyone to do it, too. :)

Not only have I given up my last AOL journal, I've been consolidating a bit over on Blogger, effectively shutting down Retro-Spective. This has been a good reason to stop and think about the whole blogging thing from a personal pov.

Anyway, I thought I'd start some Blogger lessons. Not sure how clear I was, but I posted something on Post Templates here.
Maybe you can let folks know. There are some cool things that can be done. And I'd like to see Presto Speaks! become a bit of a Blogger classroom if folks want. It is a blog about blogging, after all. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I finally got set up with Technorati and can do tags now. Now I have to work on a comment feature. Eventually...

Anonymous said...

And yeah, in response to your comment on my blog, I'll do the beta deed for you.