Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Stroll Downtown

The old United States Court House

I had a long and interesting day today, most of which I can't tell you about yet. For now, suffice it to say that this is the first time my jury duty has ever resulted in my actually being on a jury. This is not at all convenient, financially or in terms of impressing my bosses at ARR! as they decide whether to keep me. Aside from that, though, it's something I've wanted to do all my adult life. Yes, I'm weird.

The old Pima County Courthouse

Anyway, it meant that I had the opportunity that I lamented not having last week for the Round Robin shoot: I got to walk around downtown Tucson at lunchtime, taking pictures. The top photo is of the same Federal courthouse I showed you last Friday night. The pink and green tile building is the beautiful old courthouse on Church Street, adjacent to the modern building I was in today. The old pink courthouse was the location for a scene in a 1962 Route 66 episode, "How Much a Pound is Albatross?", where Julie Newmar's character is taken after deliberately speeding on her motorcycle in front of a policeman, because the policeman "looked bored."

Hitchcock classics at the restore Fox Theater

I walked past the old Fox Theatre (Theater?) a few times today. I liked the colorfulness of the restored movie house, and was mildly surprised by the films being advertised.

A few of the other towers downtown

I took this particular shot because the tower on the left reminds me of Florida beachfront hotels, and the blue tower on the right is all tile on that side, with no windows except at the top and maybe the bottom. Odd, that.


UniSource Energy Tower

And this is downtown Tucson's signature building. These days it's called UniSource Energy Tower, but when we first got to town iit was the United Bank building. United Bank branches locally became Citibank became Norwest became First Interstate became wells Fargo, and somewhere along the ling this building ceased to be associated with banks at all.

Gotta go to bed now - I'm going to try to cram in an hour or two at work before I'm due in court. But first I must sleep!

Karen

No comments: