Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sunset and Sand Near Yuma, Arizona

I need time to process the memories (and photos) from this weekend, and possibly to replace the bent USB stick for my wireless mouse. So for tonight I'm just going to show you pictures of Yuma, of all places.

Yes, I'm home tonght, but we did pass through Yuma on the way. This photo shows that we made Yuma by sunset. It's not a great sunset shot, but here it is anyway. Its significance lies in the fact that we got out of California by sunset, even without a marshal (or the Border Patrol) chasing us. In fact we played vintage Polynesian music for the Border Patrol agents as we went by.

The rest of these are the photos from our Thursday night / Friday morning drive west. Had the Internet connection worked properly, I would have uploaded these Saturday night. This shot is of the All American Canal near Yuma. I think it's on the California side of the Colorado River, but I don't remember for sure. Yes, the water really did look dark blue like that.


Another shot of the canal. Notice all the sand nearby? There's more where that came from!


There is a place just off I-8 near Yuma where people drive ATVs up and down sand dunes. When we passed by there Friday morning, the place was almost deserted, but the tracks were clearly visible. This activity is by permit only, but I kind of wish it weren't permitted at all.


To the right of this sign was a trailer or semi or something, offering permits and supplies to people who like to drive on the dunes. Myself, I'm intrigued by the dunes' existence. I grew up Back East, where sand meant ocean, or at least Lake Ontario. This looks more like the Sahara, only tamer and cooler and friendlier. Tucson is desert, but it's definitely not sandy.

Enough. It's 2 AM, and I need to go to bed so I can get up and go to work in the morning. As for the trip, for now let me just say it wasn't our best Disney trip ever. More on this tomorrow night.

Karen

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: