Monday, September 18, 2006

Orange and Blue...and a Certain Pirate's Flag

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Post a picture that focuses on the contrast between two opposing colors. What colors are opposites? Green and red are opposites, as are blue and yellow, and orange and purple. So a picture that has something purple in front of something orange would work, or a picture that features blue and yellow in alternating stripes. The subject of the pictures could be anything you like -- but there have to be opposing colors in there.

Seems to me that "opposite" colors should be complimentary - two colors that between them contain each of the three primary colors---red, yellow, and blue--exactly once. That means red and (yellow+blue=green), blue and (red+yellow=orange), and yellow and (red+blue=purple).


Then there are the RGB (red/green/blue) and CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) color systems, but those confuse me, no matter how many times John explains them. So we'll stick with what I learned in school at age 8 or so.

The color combination I chose is blue and orange. Actually, I mostly ended up with turquoise and orange, because we have a lot of turquoise colored items around here. It's a midcentury modern kind of color. Close enough, right?


You probably can't tell, but the orange plastic tumbler here is a tiki cup. I got it for John at K-Mart a year or two ago. The Diet Orange Crush is something I drink a lot of in the evenings, especially in summer.


Here are the tiki tumblers in their native habitat, behind the Fiestaware butter dish in the sideboard.


This is a slightly bluer blue, and an oranger orange. Being an organic Valencia, though, this orange is less orange than many oranges.



And let's finish off with a different color combination: red and green. Aye, I be hoisting the colors of bonny Black Rose Katie Specks, in case the wench turns up for Talk Like a Pirate Day! Mind ye, I've no guarantee she'll sail into landlocked Tucson any time soon. Still, an ye have a question for her, and mayhap I see her, 'tis certain I'll be passing it on!


Karen

Black Rose Katie Specks
An 18th Century pirate looks at the modern world.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

Carly said...

Wow! That is quite a flag. I was pondering the other day what my pirate flag might look like...except...I think I would have made the world's worst pirate!Tee Hee! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Blogger Buzz said there was now a sign-in on the comment form for non-beta blogs for folks who switched to beta to comment, and by golly, it's there. So I clicked and am now commenting in my actual blogging account. Coolness. Commenting the other way, non-beta to beta, should also work now. I need someone not on beta to try commening on my blogs without previewing first.

Nice post, btw, but I really wanted to try the commenting. ;)

Becky said...

I love these tantalizing tidbits you share about your stuff. Makes me want to come over and dig through all your cabinets. LOL!