Sunday, September 10, 2006

House and Houses


A failed attempt to photograph some bats that were
flying around the front yard a few days ago.


Let's see. I went to bed on the couch around 4 AM, and spent the next four hours dozing and sniffling. When John got up, I moved to the bedroom, and slept a bit better. At 11:30 I researched whether you can give blood when you have a cold (no), and called to postpone. Unable to get back to sleep, I made an omelette, did my email and checked my Wikipedia watchlist. Somehow that took me up to 2 PM. Then, loaded up with more cold and allergy meds, I slept until almost 7:30 PM.

Since then I've caught up my email on the other screen names, caught up FeedBlitz, and had dinner, featuring some pears John bought me. John had House on DVD in the next room, so I watched some of that. And now it's past 1 AM.

I'm thinking about a couple of ideas for entries, one about a rejection of post-modernism, and one about my discoveries upon re-reading what is allegedly my favorite book, A Wrinkle in Time. Frankly, though, that's too much to expect of me as I sit here, wondering whether it's worth sticking a thermometer in my mouth since I'm so darn hot! Maybe tomorrow I'll write somethig coherent.

Meanwhile, you may want to bop over to the Round Robin Photo Challenges blog if you haven't already. The next topic, as suggested by Gem of "Journally Yours," is "Dream Homes." The posting date of this challenge is Wednesday, September 20th, so you have plenty of time to get ready. If you plan to participate please try to RSVP on the Round Robin blog before the 20th.

The famous front of the Haunted Mansion.  Spot the 50!Becky asked a good question about this: should you get permission to photograph someone's private home? I am not a lawyer, but in my Business Law classes the instructor talked about the expectation of privacy. If the house you want to photograph is an historic landmark or for sale, there's an expectation that people will talk and distribute photos of the place, so you're probably in the clear. But if someone is living there and it's not for sale, then I guess the next question is how private is that house? A big mansion on a main road probably has less of a right to privacy than a modern house in a hard-to-get-to cul-de-sac. When in doubt, it's probably best to ask. And remember, this is a photo challenge, not a find-it-online challenge. We'd like to see houses that you photographed yourself!

Okay, so I probably don't really want to live at Gracey Mansion. But I sure love visiting the place!


Karen

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hmm. Contemplating how much of a dork I want to be. Ring the doorbell and fawn over my dream house with whomever answers? Something to think about. lol

Anonymous said...

My future home will be designed like Amalia Villa in Pissouri, Cypruswww.villa.cyprushotels.org.uk.
Such a beauty!!! I lived for almost a week there and believe me, I will never forget those days. See it, maybe you'll agree with me! Have a nice day!