Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Eagle at Sunset

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a picture of some machine and/or piece of technology that you have a love/hate relationship with.

I wish I could come up with a wildly original example of this. I'd love to tell you about all the trials and tribulations of owning an unreliable TARDIS or brainometer or left-handed tiggiefletcher, but I don't have any of those things (as far as you know, anyway). I have no fondness for the dying dishwasher, and I've written extensively already about the worn-away keys and broken CD/DVD drive on this laptop. Then again, I've already written extensively about recent troubles with my Eagle Vision, too. But at least it's mildly photogenic, especially if I can photograph the almost-sunset at the same time!


Here it is, parked near the Safeway for the usual view.


But it has a dark side, and a hidden underbelly.


Something under there makes a ca-chung sound
when I turn. I'm hoping it's the sound of something
that was rusted stiff, and is now less so since the
mechanic used his blowtorch. But I worry!


And it's just a matter of time before the driver's side door
handle breaks off completely.


Still, there are reasons I've just spent about $1500 for repairs to this 13-year-old car, beyond the fact that the first two repair bills were already what accountants call "sunk costs" (meaning that the money is already gone, regardless) by the time the third one became necessary. I've had this car for two years now, ever since my Saturn was totaled. It was the best car I could get with the money available at the time, and until recently it's been a joy: no oil leaks, no worn brakes, no CV boots or U-joints needed, no transmission issues. All I had to replace, aside from fluids and such, were tires and a battery or two. It's a smooth ride, nice and roomy, has a decent radio with a CD player, and I'd had endless fun with the digital thermometer. It's taken me to Disneyland and Sedona and Los Alamos and a ghost town in New Mexico, and up and down Wilmot Road. And I sure hope that, after all this, it continues to carry me around for quite some time to come!

Karen

No comments: