Thursday, May 31, 2007

Blogging or Sleep?

I've been up too late, too many nights in a row recently. There have been a few all nighters, and a few nights when the total count of hours was lower than I care to admit.

So for tonight, the answer to the nightly question is, "Sleep, please!"

Before I sign off, though, let me just sneak in a quick little rant. I am starting to get pretty darn sick of dial-up. Earlier tonight I was trying to load Ellipsis to see Carly's Round Robin entry and get caught up generally. It's true that I had too many tabs open on Firefox, but really, opening one more in order to take a quiz Carly recommended really shouldn't crash Firefox so that nothing works at all, not even closing a tab! I got Firefox going again around 10 PM, closed extraneous tabs and went away to watch Doctor Who for a bit. As of midnight, Ellipsis was still loading, and so was Outpost Mâvarin, which I'd started up at the same time. Two hours. There were still photos waiting to load!

If you wonder why I don't get to as many blogs as I used to, that's one big reason why. Lots of blogs these days are full of music and videos, little animated sidebar characters, blinking clocks, weather reports, Flickr and Frappr and Google Calendar and all sorts of fun stuff that I use too, and that I'd like just fine if the page would

just

hurry

up

and

load

already!

No more waiting tonight. No photo to slow down loading time. Just me finishing my rant, and going to bed.



Well, I almost signed off. Just going back into this entry to add my name at the end, 'cause I always put it there, and to slip in one photo after all. I said I would show you my Wacky Races car when I found it again. Well, I've found it. Here it is, Dick Dastardly's purple whatever-it's-called. Kind of looks like a cross between a dune buggy and a low-rent Batmobile!

And now I really am going to bed.

Karen

(See comments thread for more.)

7 comments:

Carly said...

Hey Karen

I won't go into the sleep thing... you already know how I feel about that, so let me just say take care of yourself, there's no replacing you. Now, about your computer...

I had an update to Firefox load automatically tonight. I guess it's in my settings to notify me. Prehaps you are due for the same update. It's completely new today as far as I know. Did you ever take my suggestion of buying an external drive to keep files on? It did wonders for my computer after I converted my files over to the new drive. Also, do you have old programs you really don't need? Erase, erase, erase. I am dial-up and I don't seem to have the same issues you do.

AOL is a funky program. It always has been. Certain AOL journals won't load for me, so I bypass by clicking on the archive and choosing the entry I want from there. Just a thought.

-Carly

DesLily said...

I promise no videos or music on my site!... it's only recently that I got DSL and I am not one to forget dialup since I had it over 10 yrs myself and had to skip things like the videos or everything froze up etc...

the external hard drive Carly mentions sounds like a good thing, you should look into the possibility.

ShellyS said...

Getting my cable modem 3 or 4 years ago really helped my online experience. But even with it, AOL was a pain, which was part of the reason I got rid of it. I've had Firefox crash when it's been open too long, but that happens less and less with each FF update.

You probably should check the efficiency of your machine. I forget where it's located, but if your computer is using more than 3 percent or so of its memory to work, something's possibly wrong. Or some such. A techie explained it to me, but I might be recalling the details wrong.

Make sure you get enough sleep or try to. With my hormonal changes, sleep isn't all that easy for me these days, so I'm probably not the best one to say anything on the topic right now. ;)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Yes, the Firefox download was certainly part of the problem last night. The newly installed version seems to be a bit better. For one thing, I got the editing tools back on this blog - you know, the pencil and wrench & screwdriver icons. And the Woohoo oaded, which is a miracle in itself!

And yes, I have the external hard drive now. But I need to be more ruthless in clearing things of the internal one.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Shelly - I'd like to buy a new computer altogether, but that's not gonna happen any time soon, unfortunately. I may yet take it in to a techie, though.

ShellyS said...

I lost the fast edit tool icons on Blogger ages ago and never got them back. I have them on my work PC. Someone told me it can have to do with the security settings on your PC.

I need a new PC, too. Since Jan, my computer has no clue it has USB ports. The techie replacing my monitor and motherboard, the latter for the second time, had no idea why. I have to upload photos from my camera to my laptop and upload to flickr or Blogger from there.

Steven said...

Lately when faced with the similar choice to blog or sleep, I choose sleep! I had trouble with the Firefox update. Reboot seemed to fix things right up.

In terms of keeping your computer running smoothly, I recommend a program called CCleaner.
http://ccleaner.com/

Web surfing leaves a lot of files and cleaner removes them without a lot of fuss. You can specify certain cookies to keep. Good app.