Sunday, May 09, 2010

EMPS: Bottoms Up!

I've been playing a game with myself all week for Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot #88: Upside Down, without too much success. Rather than stage my photos, selecting objects and intentionally turning them upside down, I wanted to find things that were already that way for one reason or another. But whether because I'm not all that observant, because I've been busy all week or because there just weren't too many objects like that in my immediate surroundings, I didn't come up with much. But I did photograph a few upside-down subjects:



This first one I may have cheated on; I don't remember now. It's an old Matchbox-style car that John found while digging in the yard. It's highly corroded, but that's what makes it interesting.



This is one of a number of books that are floating around right now because I got them out to read, only to get distracted or lose interest. It's The Romance of Crime by Gareth Roberts, a Doctor Who novel in the Missing Adventures series from the 1990s, starring the Fourth Doctor (the guy with the scarf) and Romana (the second one). Gareth Roberts went on to write episode for both Doctor Who and a spinoff series, The Sarah Jane Adventures. I'm pretty sure I read and enjoyed this original novel when it first came out, but for whatever reason I wasn't really in the mood for it when I got it out again recently. I really should put it back in my Doctor Who bookcase!



This old bathroom sink is sitting in our front room right now, a relic of John's bathroom renovation in progress. To say "in progress" is to be generous; he only works on the project intermittently, having neither the time nor the money to do what needs to be done. That's not likely to change until I get another job.



I suppose I should show you the upside down glasses and things left to dry next to the dish drain. Here they are. The striped mug is from Disney's Epcot Center, and the colorful glass has a Walt Disney World theme.



John sent me out to Long John Silver's last night for fish and chips. We ended up with way too many fries and an over-generous supply of tartar sauce and vinegar packets.



And finally, here's a vague approximation of the shot I've been trying for all week. Cayenne rolls onto her back quite often in a bid for attention. But when I've had the camera in hand, she's mostly only rolled onto her side. Ah, close enough!

Karen

3 comments:

Jama said...

Here, we usually get packets of ketchup or chilli sauce with any order from LJS. A good idea to use an upside down book and packet of sauce for this week's theme but you know what, I would love to see the closeup of the tartar sauce and vinegar packets!

Suzanne R said...

Your upside-down photos are excellent! The Matchbox car could come from the area around my office, which is where we raised our sons as it was the mobile home we lived in for 17 years. I think the picture of Cayenne is really cute!

Mike said...

I tried to get a picture of one of the dogs upside down, but he got up right when I got the camera out. At least you got a lot closer than I did. :)