Monday, June 11, 2007

Making a Scene

This is one of those nights when sleep is not optional, so this entry will be short. I figure I've earned it, having written and made images for a number of rather ambitious posts of late, none of which got comments. That's okay. I know you're out there. I can hear you reading.

I did accomplish something today, though. I wrote an entire scene for chapter 8 of Mages, beginning to end, 615 words. That's not a huge word count, but it's the first new scene I've completed for the trilogy in several years. I like it because it sets up a major plot thread without giving the game away. My hope is that readers will be puzzled by it and wonder what's going on, be further puzzled by another scene I started writing in Applebees tonight, start to get a clue around Chapter 11, and see it all click into place by Chapter 22.

There was something else I was going to tell you about, but I just wasted 40 minutes looking up a couple of favorite scenes in Mages, and now I'm too sleepy to remember the other thing I meant by "Making a Scene." Oh, well. You don't mind, do you? I'll tell you later if I think of it. Meanwhile, good night!

Karen

No comments: