Sunday, July 11, 2010

EMPS: We Are Gathered Here Today...

Well, that's convenient! Boy, do I ever have a lot of pictures for Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot #97: Gatherings! Two weeks ago yesterday, a few hundred people gathered for the wedding of Terri Renier to Father John Smith, the rector of the Episcopal Parish of St. Michael and All Angels. And I, for the first time in my life, was the wedding photographer! I was severely under-qualified, under-prepared and under-equipped, but I did my best. I took nearly 500 photos that weekend using two different cameras, spent many hours editing what I had, and just this morning presented Terri with a data DVD containing 385 images.

"380! Karen, you're out of control!" Terri said.
"I know," I replied.

Here are a few of the better shots:

prew5636
A little girl arrives in her wedding best.

prew5653
The church is filling up!

prew5654
This little boy is at his first wedding.

wedd5671
Relatives of the bride watch for the procession to begin.

wedd5687
Terri with her father and uncle.

wedd5682
Flower girl and baby ringbearer.

wedd5712
Bishop Kirk Smith (no relation) presided.

wedd5762
The wedding is a family affair.

wedd0006
Just married!

I had a horrible time with inadequate lighting, which led to seriously grainy images when I tried to use my own camera in the church. I used a tripod for the rehearsal, but it didn't help much, and at one point I tripped while getting up from a kneeling position and slid onto on the floor! For the wedding itself I was able to borrow someone's professional grade DSLR, but I had no special lighting and no time to learn to change any settings if needed. Suddenly at the end the good camera decided it wasn't going to focus at all. I don't know why, but assume I knocked some setting off of where it had been.


rehe5479
The rehearsal was a more laid-back gathering.

I was able to edit out the graininess on many of my wedding rehearsal photos with an auto de-noise tool, but that meant losing detail on the faces. Good thing the happy couple is so forgiving, because I certainly did not manage professional-quality results!

Karen

2 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Karen

Neat! OMG I love weddings! I am so glad you shared this adventure with us. It is always a good idea to take a few test photos the day before at the same time of day to know your lighting situation, and a good tripod is always a big help, but overall you did very well!It's a happy gathering. :)

-Carly

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Perfect for the theme. what a beautiful church.