Saturday, April 05, 2014

Round Robin: Fancy Dress (both kinds)

For the Round Robin Challenge: Dress Up, I asked to see "Any kind of costume ..., any dress, tux and tails, doll clothes, anything worn by anything or anyone as long as it's out of the ordinary." Although I'm feeling pretty wiped out tonight with a bad allergy attack that's gone on for the last 15 hours or so, I can supply examples in several of those categories.

My immediate inspiration was the idea of cosplay - fans making and wearing costumes that represent characters and creatures from their favorite books, movies, tv shows and comics. Over the years I've taken more than a few photos of fans in costume at Gallifrey One, the annual Doctor Who convention in Los Angeles. It's been several years since I made it to Gally, but I recently managed to buy a ticket to the 2015 convention in the 75 minute window before it was sold out. So let's celebrate that victory with memories of costumes past. I'll try to avoid reruns from past postings:


 From 2010: A Clockwork Droid threatens Reinette, 
a.k.a. Madame de Pompadour.


From 2011: Amy Pond in her Kiss-o-gram police uniform, 
with Rory Williams, the Last Centurion.

The last time I saw people in cosplay as Doctor Who characters was last year, at Disneyland of all places.

The Tenth Doctor, Captain Jack Harkness, 
and the Eleventh Doctor, Disneyland, May 2013.

In the U.K., "fancy dress" means a masquerade costume. Here in the U.S., it tends to have a more literal meaning.

A young woman poses for photos at Gates Pass, September 2013.


This one is a rerun: a wedding party at Reid Park, 2009. 
That green dress looks like something Tinker Bell would wear. Love it!

But let's go back to Disneyland for a moment. Come to think of it, Disneyland is full of fancy dress, and fancy dresses!

Tiana from The Princess and the Frog, Disneyland, May 2012.

I have many more, but that's enough for tonight. Let's so see what all the Robins came up with for this Challenge!


Linking List
as of Saturday, April 5th, 2014
1:54 AM MST

Karen - Posted!
Outpost Mâvarin
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com

Mande
Simply Learning to Explore and Use My Camera
http://simplyturtlepictures.blogspot.com/

Carly - Posted!
Ellipsis
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com

If it's still the weekend, it's not too late to play along yourself! Go for it, I say!

Karen

1 comment:

Carly said...

Hello Karen :)

Ooh... I like your examples. YEARS ago, maybe the early 80's I used to go with a friend to a few of her monthly Dr. Who meetings at the local PB channel in San Jose. I always enjoyed it when peeps came in costume. I wish I had some photos of that time! It was fun to see the creativity!

The wedding party in the park is great. We see similar from time to time in Golden Gate Park and Tilden. It's always so much fun to watch the couples pose for photos, and see the different lighting and style opportunities. I enjoyed this round very much!

Well done!

Carly