Sunday, January 27, 2013

So Falls Niagara Falls

Carly was curious about my other shots of Niagara Falls in winter, which date from February 1986. I think John took most of them, possibly all of them. Here's some of what I have floating around on my hard drives. They have mostly been posted before, but six years ago and longer.


I think it was -11 degrees F that day, and windy. Miserable weather, but well worth it to see this! This was during our "driving around the country, looking for someplace it wasn't winter" trip. But when even the Florida Keys were rather chilly, we drove north to where it was really winter. We saw the Falls, visited my Dad in Syracuse for his birthday, and ended up photographing snow sculptures in Montreal.



My favorite moment was when we stood on the river itself, just a little upstream from the falls. There was a little island that the water would normally rush past, but it was so heavily frozen that the snow and ice extended past the land. Daringly, I stepped out on the frozen patch of river, perhaps a few hundred feet from what you see here. 


I think my pseudo death defying feat was somewhere near this spot!



I think of this as the "grotto" shot. I remember looking through an observation window in a gift shop or museum or something, and seeing nothing but ice.


 I later did an FX version of the lamppost shot above, lighting the inside with fire.


All of the photos were originally developed in some other city after we left the Niagara Falls area. They came out all gray and awful. Fortunately, that's fixable to some extent with modern photo editing software!

Karen

1 comment:

Carly said...

LOVE THESE!

My favorite it the street light, that kinda looks like a cold hand sitting over the front face of the lamp. Spooky, yet it reminds me of the hand on the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. LOL Love this set of photos! By the way, how are the pups?