Sunday, August 15, 2010

EMPS: A Blurred Distinction

For Ellipsis Monday Photo Shoot #102: It's All A Blur!, Carly wants to see something that's blurry or blurred - not by inept photography or due to limitations of a camera, but out in the world. Tricky, but I did come up with something.



It's been miserably humid today. The airport got 0.03" of rain last night, but I don't think that the thunder I heard for the second night in a row was followed by a drop of rain here. It was very hot and humid in the church this morning under my alb (a plain, white, long-sleeved vestment), and I was sweating and panting before the morning was over. Some of that moisture found its way onto my glasses, blurring my vision more than it is already.



Here's the main thing I want to show you. One common feature of the monsoon, as I mentioned Friday night, is the buildup of clouds over the mountains, which sometimes blurs the visual distinction between land and sky. How quickly can you spot the mountains in this picture?



That was a relatively easy one. There are times when clouds obscure the mountains entirely. Here's a slightly more extreme example from 2006.



Continuing my theme of weather-related blurring, here's a shot taking during a monsoon thunderstorm on July 31, 2007. I don't think I've driven in worse visibility than Southern California fog, but Florida storms are a close second, and Arizona ones, at their worst, aren't all that far behind Florida. And I love it. I am posting this particular shot for the first time; there are even more extreme ones from the same day that I've used before.



From the same day: I remember this moment. For once I actually sat in the parking lot at First Magnus, watching the temperature fall and waiting for the rain to ease off a little before driving away.

Karen

3 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Karen
EWWWW... I don't think I would enjoy the weather there right now, although as I have mentioned before, I would LOVE a nice clap of thunder! :) Hot and sticky... not so much!

-Carly

Jama said...

The foggy glasses always happen to me , especially when walking out of our MRT train into the platform ,really hates that .

We're having lots of rain with thunder lightning these few days, but thank God, it's only for a short while before the Mr.Sun come out again.

Sandy Trefger said...

Love the eye glass photo! I thought of trying that but couldn't find hubby's reading glasses and mine just didn't blur enough. Great take on the assignment. I would love some rain here in Texas!