Saturday, May 03, 2014

May Flowers, Arizona Style

For the Round Robin Challenge: May Flowers, I asked to see fresh photos of flowers from this brand new month, if possible. Just in case I didn't manage any decent shots in May, I started a few days early, myself. But I'm happy to say I did get out for some actual flowers actually photographed in actual May 2014. Let's take a look!

I'm beginning to think there's a 90% rule in Tucson flower identification, as in, "90% of the floral hedges are oleanders." Here are some examples from the hedges lining the park behind St. Michael's:




The flowers don't look very similar, but the leaves do. The white ones are along the back boundary of the park, while the pink and red ones are along this hedge between the park and the library (and St. Joseph's Hospital):


By the way, about a minute after I took this photo (and these were all on the iPhone, hence the iffy quality), I stepped in a rut and sprained my ankle. Again. Not a bad sprain, this time.

Later that day, when I visited my dad, I photographed a few small but interesting flowers outside the Memory Care unit, this time with my Canon:




That was all on Thursday. On Friday morning, I took a moment in a bank parking lot to get you some real Arizona specimens. This is a Yucca. I think it's a Soaptree Yucca, which is native to Southern Arizona.


And I really should show you the Arizona State flower, which was in the same parking lot! It's a little early in the season, but here are the flowers of the Giant Saguaro!


All in all, I think I did pretty well for someone who doesn't even like flowers!

Karen

Please check out all this week's entries:

Linking List
as of Saturday, May 3rd, 2014
1:41 AM MST

Karen - Posted!
Outpost Mâvarin
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com

Carly - Posted!
Ellipsis
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com

Jama
Sweet Memories
http://mummyjam.blogspot.com

No comments: